Celebrate Veterans Day at the Zoo – For Free!
November 1, 2012—Join community members young and old on Veterans Day, Sunday, November 11, for a free day of fun at Sequoia Park Zoo, thanks to the generous sponsorship of Lost Coast Communications. The zoo will also be celebrating International Red Panda Day, with Red panda themed activities, so it’s a great opportunity to get together with friends and catch up with what’s going on at the zoo.
“We’re delighted that Lost Coast Communications is honoring our veterans and the community at large with their sponsorship of this last free day of the year,” says Foundation President Chuck Dominick. “We look forward to another strong program of sponsored free days at the zoo in 2013.”
The local Redwood Coast chapter of the American Association of Zoo Keepers is also hosting activities to celebrate International Red Panda Day. Between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., zoo visitors can have their faces painted like a Red panda, watch the Red pandas create a unique paw-print painting, and then enter a raffle to win the painting. Keepers will also present talks on charismatic zoo residents during the day.
“Celebrating Red pandas is a lot of fun and has real conservation value,” says Zoo Manager Gretchen Ziegler. “All of the proceeds raised from the raffle and face painting will directly support endangered Red pandas in their native Nepal, through the Red Panda Network organization.”
Schedule of activities (subject to change):
- 12 p.m. - Red panda painting and training session
- See panda training in action and watch as keepers guide the pandas to create a unique panda pawprint painting (weather permitting). Raffle entrants will have a chance to win the painting later in the afternoon.
- 2 p.m. - Red panda training session
- See panda training in action and learn how it benefits the animals and their caretakers.
- 2:45 p.m. - Raffle winners announced
- 3 p.m. - Red Panda feeding
So come on down any time between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Sunday, November 11, and enjoy a free day at your local zoo. The zoo will also be open on Monday, November 12, as a regular admission day but is free to members every day of the year.
Contact: Nicole Spencer
Phone: (707) 442-5649
Return to the Press Room for more zoo news.